Become a Writing Center Tutor!
The Writing Center hires undergraduate students who are interested in helping fellow students improve their writing skills.
Openings for fall semester are usually advertised in March or April; openings for the spring semester are generally advertised in October or November. Please watch your student eConnection for specific application information.
The successful candidate is one who:
- is willing to learn the skills needed to become an effective tutor
- believes that all written work by students has worth
- seeks to increase his or her own writing skills and better understand the writing process
The duties of writing tutors include:
- attendance at training sessions
- participation in biweekly staff meetings
- observation of experienced tutors in practice
- tutoring students in all phases of the writing process
- contributing to the development of promotional and instructional materials
- assisting in activities that promote the Writing Center on campus
If you wish to apply, you'll need to submit:
- letter addressed to Dr. Kate Drowne explaining your interest in becoming a writing tutor
- application form (available at the Writing Center)
- writing sample from any college course
- names and email addresses of two Missouri S&T faculty references
All materials should be turned in to Brandi Washburn, senior secretary at the Writing Center.
The Missouri University of Science and Technology is and Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.