the tips and guidelines below will help you take full advantage of your online consultation
Although we can conduct consultations without audio and video, use of those functions saves times and allows you and your consultant to work more productively. Even if you prefer not to appear on video or use the microphone to commuicate, we strongly suggest that you enable both tools; otherwise, your consultant will also be unable to use them. You will still have the option to black out your video screen or mute your microphone at any point during the consultation.
Please note, too, that without a camera, neither video nor audio can be enabled because all browsers check first to determine whether a camera is available. If they cannot access a camera, they make the both audio and video unavailable.
Enabling Camera and Microphone
If you have not previously enabled audio and video in your browser, you may see a dialogue box asking you to allow your microphone and camera to operate:
Once you allow these functions, you should be able to see the video and talk to your consultant.
If video and audio are not already enabled and this window does not pop up automatically, some troubleshooting may be necessary. Try the following:
- Check to be sure the camera is on. Many browsers display a camera symbol in the address bar, independently of any function in WCONLINE, and the writer might be able to click on that small camera symbol to find the option to share their camera and microphone.
- Check the browser's or computer's privacy settings to allow a specific browser to use the camera. Depending on the browser and computer, the might need to close other tabs, browsers, or open programs. Some computers give priority to use of the camera in specific applications and disallow its use in other applications that may be running simultaneously. Therefore, the writer may have to close every browser and program, even those unrelated to the online meeting, and try opening the online meeting again.
- Try using another browser to see if its option to use the camera is easier to find. (This approach will, of course, require that the writer leave the appointment and return to it once they have opened another browser.)
- Try sharing the camera in another app or program to see if the camera turns on automatically.
- Check the computer for any on/off switches for the camera, microphone, and speakers.
Your consultation will be saved automatically and accessible to you throughout the semester. To return to your appointment and view a recording of chat and whiteboard activity, just open the appointment form, and click the Join Online Appointment link. The chat window will be visible, and you can click the timeslider icon in the upper right corne to go to a screen where you can replay whiteboard activity.