Interested in becoming a peer writing consultant?
The Writing Center hires undergraduate students who are excellent writers interested in helping fellow students improve their writing skills.
Openings for fall semester are usually advertised in March or April; openings for the spring semester are generally advertised in October or November. Please watch your student eConnection for specific application information.
The successful candidate is one who:
- demonstrates strong writing skills
- is willing to learn the skills needed to become an effective writing consultant
- seeks to increase his or her own writing skills and better understand the writing process
The duties of writing consultants include:
- attendance at training sessions
- participation in regular staff meetings
- observation of experienced consultants in practice
- advising students in all phases of the writing process
- contributing to the development of promotional and instructional materials
- assisting in activities that promote the Writing Center on campus
If you wish to apply, you'll need to submit:
- letter addressed to the Writing Center's director, Jeanine Bruening, explaining your interest in becoming a writing consultant
- application form (available at the Writing Center)
- writing sample, preferably a college-level essay or research paper
- names and email addresses of two Missouri S&T faculty references
All materials should be turned in to Brandi Washburn, program support coordinator at the Writing Center.
The Missouri University of Science and Technology is and Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.