Interested in becoming a peer writing consultant?
The Writing Center hires undergraduate students who are excellent writers interested in helping fellow students improve their writing skills.
- excellent writing skills
- a desire to work with and learn from fellow students
- a strong sense of responsibility and commitment
- attend training sessions
- participate in regular staff meetings
- observe experienced consultants in practice
- offer feedback and assistance to students in all phases of the writing process
- conduct workshops to assist with specific writing tasks
- contribute to the development of promotional and instructional materials
- assist in activities that promote the Writing Center on campus
- a completed application form (available at the Writing Center)
- a letter addressed to the Writing Center's director, Jeanine Bruening, explaining your interest in becoming a writing consultant
- a current résumé
- a writing sample, preferably an essay or research paper composed for a Missouri S&T course (although papers written for non-S&T courses are acceptable)
- the names and email addresses of two Missouri S&T faculty members who are willing to provide references
All materials should be turned in to Brandi Washburn, program support coordinator, at the Writing Center.
Openings for fall semester are usually advertised in March or April; openings for the spring semester are generally advertised in October or November. Please watch your student eConnection for specific application information.
The Missouri University of Science and Technology is and Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.